First Lutheran Church, ELCA

Who We Are

About Us

Our Mission Statement

We are called by God to grow in faith together, sharing Christ's love with each other and our community.

Our Mission

At First Lutheran Church ELCA we strive to provide a sanctuary for prayerful worship within a respectful and welcoming environment and to meet the spiritual needs of our congregation and community, using Christian ideas and values.

What we hold to

01

Grace First

We believe God's love comes before anything we do or fail to do — and that changes everything.

02

Open Table

All are welcome at communion, in worship, and in this community — no exceptions.

03

Service in the World

Faith without works is empty. We feed neighbors, walk with the hurting, and seek justice together.

04

Learning Always

Scripture, tradition, and questions are friends here. We are never done growing.

Our History

Over 140 years of welcome

First Lutheran traces its roots to Swedish immigrants who came to the Hinckley area in the late 19th century. From a small charter in 1883 to a thriving congregation of over 450 baptized members today, every generation has added to the song.

01

The Beginning

First Lutheran Church has its roots among Swedish immigrants who came to the Hinckley area in the late 19th century. The congregation was chartered as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hinckley in 1883. Three years later the congregation moved into its first building, which measured 18 by 30 feet. In 1894, The Great Hinckley Fire destroyed the first church building along with most of the community on September 1st. Undaunted, the congregation moved into a newly erected building by Christmas of that same year. On August 7, 1896, a tornado destroyed the church again — and again the congregation rebuilt.

02

The 20th Century

In 1929 a new structure was erected, incorporating the sacristy and bell tower of the former church. The name First Evangelical Lutheran Church was adopted in 1932. In 1957 a new educational wing was added, and 10 years later a narthex including a library and classroom was added. A new parsonage was built in 1981. On Pentecost Sunday of 1989, ground was broken across the street from the church as the site for the new building — the cornerstone was laid on September 24th.

03

The 21st Century

The first service in the new church was conducted on January 14, 1990, with dedication on May 20th. The parsonage was sold in 2014. The congregation now numbers over 450 baptized members. We are still going strong, with our parishioners and our community — a village in the pines.

Our Staff

A dedicated team called to walk alongside this congregation.

Learn more about our staff

Lutheran Memorial Cemetery

Learn about our cemetery grounds, policies, and memorial guidelines.

Visit the Cemetery page